Tuesday, September 25, 2007

One cool thing about San Francisco

One thing that is so cool about San Francisco is, it is not white and young and male. It is Asian and Mexican and black and not everyone out on the street is under 25. I knew this already, but when I found myself on Irving St., south of Golden Gate Park and just east of Sunset, it really hit home. I had driven out on Geary all the way to the beach, then doubled back to Irving to find a location of Discount Fabrics so I could buy some muslin. I knew very well that I had long been out of any touristy areas, but on Irving St., I was roaming in a majority Asian residential neighborhood. It seemed so far away from Austin, which is infested with 21-year-old white men wearing turned-around baseball caps.

The common wisdom about Austin is that it's "laid back," and "youthful." But what it really is, is juvenile.

1 comment:

  1. "The common wisdom about Austin is that it's "laid back," and "youthful." But what it really is, is juvenile."

    That made me laugh. Although I did almost write, "That made me laugh, dude." :)

    ReplyDelete