Tuesday, April 05, 2011

If it looks like trouble . . .

it probably will be. The curve in between the center front and the dart marking on the paper pattern looked "off" to me. Still, this pattern is the work of someone who has no small estimation of her skills. So I cut out the skirt front and marked the darts.

Sure enough, the center front has a very noticeable "dip." If I go ahead and form the darts, that dip will be even more of a problem. (The darts aren't drafted correctly, either.) This skirt is supposed to fit smoothly into a waistband. It's never going to, and come out right.

What to do? Be very glad my fabric wasn't expensive and that I was only testing the pattern. I moved on to different project. Sometimes there is just no salvaging a lost cause. This was one of those times.


2 comments:

  1. This is one of the reasons I never cut patterns with a standard 5/8" seam allowance that the big pattern companies include on their patterns. This just gives you nothing to play with in case of any kind of mistake and if the pattern doesn't fit, you still have plenty of room to adjust! I usually mark the stitching lines on the patterns/fabric and add at least an inch seam allowance on all the main pieces. I always add extra even if I have used the pattern before as different fabrics hang differently and you can gain weight in some areas over time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good plan, Karen. That's what I should have done, since I was testing this pattern. But I guess my commitment just wasn't there.

    ReplyDelete